Last week was all about administrative tasks, socializing events and basically getting to know the university system.
More or less frustrating bureaucratic issues had to be solved and now here we are.
I wanted to share with you a few tips for the 1st week of your PhD.
– get to know as many people as you can: go out, socialize with fellows from 2nd and 3rd year, meet professors and let them know what you are interested in and what your research is about
– make an appointment with your supervisor: let him know you are there, you are available to meet and discuss
– always be nice to the IT Department you will always need their support
– drop by the administration office and make sure you are nice to the secretary because you will be in touch with them for the next years, and every time you will need something that’s the person to ask
– be sure to get involved in extra curricular activities: participate and vote your fellow representatives, meet your field coordinator, take part in any sports team that the university may have
– attend all prep forums/seminars/meeting schedule for you and remember to be on time, you don’t want to make a bad impression on your 1st week.
And here’s something you shouldn’t do: don’t read your proposal, don’t stress and don’t start planning anything.
For now it’s just important to
*Image retrieved from theacorngallery.blogspot.com